Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The first winter metro commute for this season.

Sigh....
And so it begins, this seasons frustrations and aggravations of winter commuting in a suburban region. 
I was born and raised in the snow belt of western PA.  There was 2" of fresh snow on the ground (and test course) when I took my drivers test at 16 y.o.a.  Pennsylvania is notorious for it's limited snow removal/ road treatments.  Driving in snowy conditions is something I've been accustomed to from the beginning. So yes, I get a little annoyed at some of the other drivers on the road in the areas in which I must now commute.
Some thoughts and comments stemming from this frustration rant;
  • If you are uncomfortable with road conditions and/ or your driving skills that you feel the need to drive 20 mph slower than the rest of traffic with your 4 way flashers on, STAY HOME!  You are an impediment to traffic and creating a danger to yourself and others, especially the (seemingly majority) ones that are only aware of whats 10' in front of them.
  • Speaking of the "just beyond your bumper" drivers, while on the open highway should you feel the necessity to keep tapping your brakes due to the vehicle in front of you, BACK OFF!  Yeah, you do this in the rain, too, moron.  Do you really think that you're going to have the reaction time (or ability) you need to stop or maneuver without colliding into what suddenly stopped in front of you?
  • Everyone has their own level of comfort of driving speed on potentially slick roads.  I get that.  That doesn't mean that you need to ride the center and left lane of the highway.  But I know that's really asking too much, since that is just an extension of your typical driving habits anyway.
  • And finally, just for honorable mention, a 4 wheel drive vehicle can get you going faster on slick roads, but it doesn't stop you any sooner.  I did not see any of that this morning, but I know I will before winter is over.


Be careful, be aware out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment