Saturday, January 10, 2015

Oh deer!

I consider myself rather fortunate.  Yesterday morning while driving to work I hit only the second deer in my lifetime of driving.  Pretty good for 30+ years of driving.
It happened about a mile from the house.  Not sure if I hit it or it hit me.  Tagged the front corner of the truck.  Tweaked the bumper a little, dislodged the side marker light and broke the light in bumper.  I'm very happy the damage wasn't worse.
After that happened, I think I saw more deer running across the road in the next 10 minutes than I had seen in the last two weeks.  It almost made me wonder if some natural catastrophe was going to happen that the deer could sense.
I put a strap through the open hole and wrapped the end of the bumper and then un-tweaked it by pulling it with the Jeep back to close to where it belongs.  I'm happy it didn't mess up any sheet metal.

When I surveyed the damage in the daylight, I had to chuckle.  The impact knocked the crap out of that deer.
I'm guessing the impact swung it around and it's rear end slammed into the passenger door.
I'll let the weather clean it off....  Shouldn't take long with the upcoming forecast.
I had to go into work again this morning to finish a task I wasn't able to finish yesterday.  Dang if I didn't almost hit another deer in that same area.  I'll need to add that section to the long list of their favorite crossing spots.


3 comments:

  1. That's KARMA for you mocking when I hit that one last month.

    See what happens when you poke fun? God gets ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The same thing happened to me in Oregon years ago. I was driving an old Ford station wagon that was just long enough that when the Dear slammed against the side of the car it's backside was just even with the open drivers window. Same result only I didn't have any rain to wash my face off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been up here for 11 years and havent hit one. But there ARE certain areas where herds congrigate and are more likely to come out. And they are stupid about cars.

    ReplyDelete