Wednesday, March 9, 2016

That didn't go as planned

Yesterday I took off work two hrs early.  I needed to get home in time to take my fire department's boat to the shop for some routine maintenance.
Shortly before I was going to leave work, the alerts went off for a structure fire.  As I understand it, the call first came in as a smoke investigation.  The first on scene reported a house fully involved.  Being the middle of the day, the units that did get out were largely understaffed, as were units from surrounding jurisdictions that were called.
As I'm driving home, I'm listening to the radio traffic via a scanner app.  A brush fire was reported in another part of the county, stretching even thinner the thin resources.  Fortunately that sounded like a pretty small situation and was brought under control quickly.
I got home minutes before my station (we already had an engine on the structure fire) was alerted for mutual aid for another brush fire.  A farmer's brush pile fire had gotten away from him.  Ultimately it burned about 10-15 acres of field and woods.  The farmer also lost about a dozen of the big hay bale rolls.  Those are a pain when the fire gets in those.
I was on scene for only a few hours, but it was long enough that my opportunity to take the boat to the shop had passed.
Maybe I can try again today.....

4 comments:

  1. I'm guessing that when one of those big bales gets fire in it you have to pull it completely apart to make sure nothing remains to smolder and reignite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would be correct. Another option is whats called a piercing nozzle. Basically a long pointed pipe with a hose fitting a spot to drive it with a sledge. It was designed to get through walls and floors, but I've heard it works well on hay bales, too.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well now I know why you didn't answer your phone yesterday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete