Saturday, April 11, 2015

Engine swap

Today was not nearly as productive as I had hoped.  I did manage to make some headway on a few miscellaneous items that also needed to be done, but never really got into "the groove".
A few of the items that I did manage to take care of; Replaced the brake master cylinder.  The one that was there was starting to show signs of wetness around the master cylinder/ booster interface.  That's not good.  I had another one in the shed for just such an occasion.  with the exception of line fittings being a bit stubborn to break loose, that swap went pretty easily.  Now comes the fun of filling it and bleeding the brakes.
Also tidied up some of the wiring, removing a few that were not used anymore.  Also zip-tied the wiring harness for the TBI together in a tidy bundle.  The 304 has a carburetor and vacuum advanced distributor, so that's what I'm going to use, at least for the time being.  Not ready for the extra expense of what I would need to do to make the TBI work with the V8.
Out comes the old....
Today had it's share of frustrations, as well.  Of course, as soon as I set the old engine on the floor, all the anti-freeze that didn't drain decided to glug out in copious amounts all over the floor.
The V8's use a different engine mount than the 6 cyl. on one side.  I thought I had it.  Apparently I don't.  I might be able to modify an existing mount to work.  Not sure yet.
AMC used at least two different variations of power steering line connections.  Of course what I had and what is on the 304 don't match.  Swapping out the pumps would seem to be the simplest plan, but getting some of the bracket off of one of the pumps may be more difficult than meets the eye.  That's where I decided to call it a day.
I doubt that I will work on it any tomorrow.  Will likely have to wait until Monday.


No comments:

Post a Comment