Thursday, May 25, 2017

A different kind of vocabulary

Last night I was talking to the Mrs. and discussing one of my earlier career endeavors back in the late 80's.
I had been working numerous different jobs, none of which I considered to be anything more than "stepping stone" jobs, with the pay range around $7.25/hr.
Being a graduate of a vocational technical high school, where real skills are learned, I knew that drafting and drawing interested me, so I decided to enroll in the local community college's Computer Aided Drafting course.  During the first semester though, I realized that was a zero-sum gain endeavor, as the pay rate for draftsmen was only about $9-10/hr.  In hindsight, programs like AutoCAD and Pro-E made those jobs obsolete anyway.

So all that, just to get back to me explaining computer aided drafting.  Apparently I wasn't enunciating well enough, because she thought I was saying "computerated".  It took a few moments of laughing discussion to clear that up and then we got on a roll of massacring other words.  Larry the cable guy would have been proud.
"You can send me a litter on that computerated thing, cause I'm literate!"
So now I'm wondering, could there be multiple meanings?  Verbs, nouns, pronouns?  Such as;

"I used to use maps, but now I have that computerated thingy in my car."
"I computerated all my pictures into a slideshow" (AKA "Death by Power Point)
The act of being frustrated with technology?  "I am completely computerated with trying to figure out this video editor!"
The digital version of obliterated; "The hard drive stopped working and now everything is computerated!"

I'm most certain there can be other examples as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment