Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Back on the saddle again

I used to do a lot of cycling.  Not logging as many miles as some of the modern die hards do, but at a time before cycling was "cool", it wasn't uncommon for me to log 1200 miles a season.  Not too bad considering I was in western PA and there was likely snow on the roads from November through late March.
Ahhh, but time marches on.  We get older and life responsibilities takes it's toll on available time, forcing our priorities to change to meet the demands of adulthood.  I still cycled as I could, but not riding nearly as many miles as I once had.
Still, there were times of binge-type riding, as situations allowed.  One such situation was almost ten years ago when I spent six months in Boulder, CO on a project.  I think that was some of the best riding I had ever done.  Even though Boulder is one of the liberal bastions of the state, full of old hippies and young hippie wanna-be's, it was still a pretty awesome place to spend a summer.
I had purchased a hard travel case, since I would be transporting my bike back and forth on a commercial airline.  The first trip out, however, was not on a plane.  My bike, packed neatly in it's hard case, was on the tractor trailer carrying the spacecraft payload that myself and the team I was on had spent the last numerous years building.  All boxes and containers were required to be labeled.  The label on the bike case stated; "Gyroscopically Stabilized Endurance Test Equipment". 
The hard case had proven it's worth, as I discovered craft beer in CO and never made a return trip without the hard case being packed carefully with not only the bike but good beer as well.
....But I digress...
One method of maintaining some semblance of fitness in the off season/ bad weather not suitable for riding is rollers.

Rollers not only give you various resistance, depending on gear selection, but also hone balance, as the slightest movement of the handlebars or slight lean can send the rider careening off the edge.
The rear wheel is nested on the two rear rollers which has a drive belt connecting them to the front roller.  The front wheel sits on top of the front roller  It is by the gyroscopic effect that keeps the rider upright.  It is a pretty good work out.  Typically the target pedal rate rate is around 90 r.p.m.  I had rollers before the "spinning" fad came to the gyms.
I  brought up a Hickok45 video to watch as I rode and was quite pleased with myself, staying on for the duration of the 20+ minute video.
But, it's been a few years since I've been on this ancient torture device and needles to say, my dismount is a bit rusty.  I failed to twist my foot enough to disengage the cleat from the pedal and quickly found myself doing an Artie Johnson tricycle impression.
I managed to break a cleat and get a little raspberry on my knee.

So what's that saying?  As easy as falling off a bike?  Yep.  I have proven that.  But persevere I must.  There is some excess baggage that I've acquired over the years and I must not let it get worse.



No comments:

Post a Comment